Port De Soller Mallorca

Port De Soller Mallorca
Sunset

Friday 9 December 2011

The Journal of Avery Moore by Michael R Hicks


If you have read my blogs and reviews and you know me on Twitter you will know that Michael R Hicks falls into the category of, “My Favourite Authors.”

The Journal of Avery Moore was a bit of a departure for him from his usual writings and for me as a reader, in that it was a horror story,.....

I often think, as I suppose many readers do, of meeting my favourite authors, well, I think I am going off the idea of actually meeting Mr Hicks, anyone that can wake up in the middle of the night with such a twisted story embedded in his mind might not make for a best friend, there has to be a hint of madness lurking behind those eyes.

The Journal Of Avery Moore is a short story charting the kidnapping, imprisonment and torture of a nice man, who happens to be a lawyer, yes I know ,but there are nice lawyers out there I know two...

Avery Moore chronicles the depravity of his time in captivity, without knowing why he is here or indeed how long he has been there. And, when that is finally revealed, that is the final act that almost tips him into the insanity that he has been slowly slipping into, crucified on a medical bench during his captivity.

This is a short, well written book with thirteen short chapters but they are so intense in places that you do find yourself breathing heavily especially when Avery wakes up and discovers his predicament and how he has been ‘stitched up”. As they say, “Oh My God” who would have thought of writing something like that, Well Hicks clearly did and it works, scary but riveting.  I really did not think I was going to enjoy it, and I don’t even know if that is the correct description to use after reading this one.

I think he was right to do it as a short story and bring it to a conclusion which was fairly explosive and understandable under the circumstances.  I started reading it during lunch yesterday and completed in the evening.


5 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, yikes, looks scary! Even the cover is scary. I don't know, Tom. Might be more up my husband's alley.

    ReplyDelete

All posts and photos copyright to the author, unless otherwise stated, and should not be reproduced without permission. If reproduction permitted, full accreditation and link to site must be provided.
Anonymous comments are not invited and will be sent direct to the SPAM box....