Port De Soller Mallorca

Port De Soller Mallorca
Sunset

Saturday 14 July 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeange

As a kid I loved my comic books, especially Marvel and DC comics.  I used to imagine I too had super powers or abilities like all the 'heroes' they gave to us. And then of course Saturday morning kids club at the cinema with Adam West's' Batman, did they actually realise back then how camp it looked, or is that just me today?



Speaking with Julia R Barrett recently, I did admit that my all time favourite didn't have any real powers but got them from an object, in this case his ring, yes The Green Lantern was always my favourite, followed by Thor, who if memory serves, back then, was a dentist with a limp and a cane!


In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!!!

I have to confess though that by the time Ghost Rider came out in 1972 I was in the Army and didn't have a lot of time for comics, but with the thought I had boxes of them in the attic at home (still haven't forgiven a sibling when I discovered years later she had given them away - don't get me started) and so I was largely ignorant of this particular 'anti-hero'. 



Being the sucker I am for all things 'super hero' though, when I first saw that Nicholas Cage was starring in a movie with the name, I couldn't wait.... It wasn't a great movie but it had Sam Elliot in it, Mr Laconic himself, doesn't ever seem to say a lot, but that gravell voice, he and Kris Kristofferson should team up together , those voices in the same scene, I digress....  and not having read any of the comics, I couldn't draw any comparisons to it, but on the other hand, while the acting was fairly mediocre, the film engaged me and I enjoyed it in the spirit of comic book fayre and the fight against good and evil, with the basically good person being drawn into being the Devils acolyte  on earth, collecting all the bad souls.

And then along comes Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and I thought great, this one will be even better...  How wrong can you be? Well in this case pretty wrong.  What's happened to Nicholas Cage, he showed so much promise in Peggy Sue Got Married, and then he made a couple of bummers and then he made a couple of good ones, but the bummers seem to out number the goodies.  And Marvel, really, I would have been embarrassed to release this as part of the franchise.



Even with those two excellent actors Ciaran Hinds and Idris Elbe the latter whom I absolutely love as DCI John Luther and the inclusion of Highlander Christopher Lambert, it really did not help.  And as much as I am an admirer of Mr Hinds, Peter Fonda was by far the superior Devil in this particular franchise.

Johny Blaze, basically told the Devil to F**k off at the end of the first movie and we now find him as a reclusive alcoholic living in a warehouse somewhere in Eastern Europe. It got worse from there on in and I am not going to give you any more detail on it.

Suffice to say, if you take precautions when sleeping around to avoid contracting an STD, I'd do the same with this movie,  avoid it like the plague, it is that bad....



2 comments:

  1. We must be twins! My favorite superheroes are Green Lantern and his oath, followed by Thor! OMG! I can't believe it! My husband has a Green Lantern t-shirt and when he wears it I want to jump his bones. TMI?
    I love comic books. My husband says he learned big words by reading comic books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go, Jules. So, just how often does 'I' pop on the t-shirt LoL xx

    ReplyDelete

All posts and photos copyright to the author, unless otherwise stated, and should not be reproduced without permission. If reproduction permitted, full accreditation and link to site must be provided.
Anonymous comments are not invited and will be sent direct to the SPAM box....